With a natural, warm and comfortable elegance, the knitwear for Autumn-Winter 24-25 finds in the yarn collections a very wide and diversified range of proposals with the use of ALPACA.
A docile and curious animal, with a shy and tame character, bred for more than 4.000 years in the Peruvian Andes. With the arrival of the Spaniards it risked extinction and to save it, it was transferred to the highest peaks, where other animals had no access and where it grazes between 3.500 and 4.000 meters above sea level. The alpaca derives from the vicuña, a camelid common in South America, and is divided into two breeds. The most widespread Huacaya represents 90% of the herds, and has a dense, swollen and round fleece and slightly ruffled hair, and the Suri which covers the remaining 10% of the alpaca population, particularly sought after its soft and silky fleece. Appreciated for its thermal qualities, it is also very resistant, it does not sting or felt, it does not produce allergies.
The variety of its 22 different natural colours that extend from white to black passing through cold brown and rusty brown tones allows the development of yarns that do not require dyeing and which extend over multiple mélange variations. The fineness of the Huacaya fibres – Superfine Alpaca – Baby Alpaca – Royal Alpaca – which varies between 18 and 35 microns, also allows the creation of a very wide range of blends, also with other fibres and naturally with wool.
Raised in small herds, alpacas represent an excellent example of a sustainable value chain starting with attention to the welfare of the animals and the people who care of them, as well as the conservation of their natural environment. The International Alpaca Association (Asociación Internacional de la Alpaca, AIA) in Peru is committed to promoting and protecting the entire supply chain with the support of the RAS (Responsible Alpaca Standard) certification.
The proposal of NOT DYED alpaca and blends yarns are particularly appreciated and perfectly interpret the natural trend of the season. The textures range from bouclé and voluminous brushed to more irregular and rough effects, up to very fine qualities for weightless knits.
However, new paths are opening up for this fibre, in yarns that fit into contemporary and alternative trends, maintaining all the characteristics of comfort and warmth that distinguish them.
We are obviously talking about colour and above all shaded or multicolour effects with a great visual impact, which in the combination of experience and technology create bundles of freely mixed coloured fibres.